Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Soccer Log: August 26, 2006

LA Galaxy at DC United

It is true enough, that love never feels quite so real, as when its not returned. When you love something that doesn't love you back, when you love someone who doesn't feel the same.

Despite two consecutive season victories by the Gals and a cup win, I was still feeling down. Its not that I didn't appreciate the wins, and its not that I didn't hope for the future. But I still just couldn't see how things would work out.

A loss, and I am sure I would have withdrawn further, given up, and closed my eyes so that reality couldn't extinguish that last little glimmer of hope I was keeping alive. But they didn't loose. I haven't lost yet. The season still isn't over, and as Real Salt Lake faced down the wrath of RBNY on the same day, the Galaxy let loose.

I did not get to see the game. I was at work and knew I would not know the result until some hours after the game was over and I was finally home.

Its hard to describe how I felt when I saw the scoreline. I was not relieved and nor was I joyful. The shock I felt, the surprise, the no... no... thats not right, even as I write this, I can not even imagine how this happened.

A barrage of five goals rekindles hope. Against the league's most dominant side this year, it was a dream I didn't even think to ask for. Because some days I feel like the Galaxy and me have a lot in common. Sometimes I feel like we mirror each other.

As we captured the double last year, I was feeling truly happy again, everything seemed in order. We were on the right path and nothing could stop us.

But then things happened. Unexpected things. A death. A betrayal.

A downward spiral, and a hurt so deep that even now we wonder if we can recover and gain the form that we lost. But there have been wins, and the Open Cup is not yet lost. And five glorious goals in front of a hostile crowd means that hope is maybe not be so foolish.

No comments: