Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Soccer Log: July 15, 2006

July 15, 2006: L.A. Galaxy VS CD Chivas USA

It took two weeks of internal debate on the part of my girlfriend to decide that yes, we could go to the game when I stopped over in California to visit her. Although in all honestly I had wanted to visit her earlier in the month when chances were good I could catch two or three games at the Home Depot Center. But I was willing to settle for whatever I could get.

Her internal debate about whether or not we could go lasted until two hours before game time. It had taken me no more than thirty seconds to know I had to go to a game some weeks before. After that I had spent two weeks trying to impress upon her that going to the game was not a big deal and our relationship was not based off going to a soccer game. But I knew it was likely my only chance to see a game that year after the Galaxy qualified for the continental cup and had forgone their supposed pre-season tour.

The game promised to be amazing, as many of the Los Angeles derbies had proven to be passionate affairs. I tried to pump my other half up for the game with tales about the game, discussion of the HDC, histories of the teams, and just letting her know how big this game was. If the Galaxy lost, they would have little hope of catching Chivas, and yet if they won they would only be a few wins back and in perfect position to make a run on the western table.

I think slightly ruined the mood of the game yelling at the girlfriend for getting us lost on the way to the game. I couldn't handle knowing that I would miss any of the game. In true fanatical style I felt as though I needed to be there a cool hour early. But ultimately nothing could ruin the game for me.

I dressed out in my national team jersey, sure it would declare me for the Gals and their pair of national team players. But to make it more obvious I wore my Galaxy scarf, purchased the year before at the Aloha Cup.

Unfortunately, the girlfriend's indecision had lead me not to buy tickets before the match and showing up on game day I was loath to stand in the long lines that had formed. But again, nothing could ruin the game for me. Getting lost and standing in line almost cost me the kickoff. But I made it by scalping tickets for a VIP box. I felt famous. Upon entering the box I realized I would be spending the game with one of the player's families. Not the way I would have chosen to watch the game, but again I was just glad to be there.

The game itself was a rather dull affair. They sold all the tickets they put on sale. Which for some reason did not include the upper deck. The fans were passionate, although not as they appeared on TV. The Galaxy fans were silent almost the whole game. Besides a couple of sections of gold, you would have forgotten they were there.

And despite both teams needing the win, it ended up a 0-0 draw. Both teams threatened, and the Gals had a rather dubious goal called back, but by the last quarter hour or so both teams seemed to have forgotten that they needed wins and sat back and just hoped not to loose.

A bore game I said. But I was intoxicated by it all. And despite knowing it lasted a keen two hours. I remember a mere ten or fifteen seconds. The girlfriend never complained, but I'm sure she was well aware that the game lasted two hours and wasn't the same as what she saw on TV during the World Cup.

No comments: