Monday, August 14, 2006

Future Events

Having a slow weekend at work gave me more than enough time to ponder those things that soccer fanatics tend to ponder. But instead of dwelling on the past, I was imaging the future. And here are a couple of events I was most looking forward to.

*RSL Stadium Dedication Match VS Real Madrid
Real Madrid did a great job in Salt Lake this past week. Bringing a huge crowd out to watch soccer, announcing plans to help RSL build a world class youth academy, helping break ground on a new stadium, and announcing that not only will they come back, but that they want to play in the first match in RSL's new ground.
One wonders if Real Madrid didn't have some hand in the way events, that had been spiraling out of control, suddenly came together so that RSL can start writing checks and building for the future.
Opening day should be huge, the renderings that have been released and the return of Real Madrid have made an opening day that is at least a year and a half away, something to look forward to.

*Cobi Jones Testimonial Match
I love Cobi Jones. He was my hero as a wide eyed twelve year old in 1996 and 1997 and even though me and soccer separated for a while it was in no small part thanks to him and the Galaxy's pre-season friendly in Hawaii that I am the fanatic that I am (even if he didn't play in the game.)
So when he retires, I expect nothing less than a huge celebratory testimonial match, for a player who has helped define his team. He has been a prized striker, explosive midfeilder, captain, and aged hero. He has made the Galaxy one of the most successful MLS sides in the first ten years.
Now I don't know when he will retire. I hope he still plays a couple more. But when he does hang up the boots, I expect the Gals to throw him a great sending off party. He certainly deserves nothing less.

No comments: